Test for unit 4-5
1. The work __________ much patience.
A. calls at B. calls in C. calls for D. calls on
2 Mr. Brown, _________ money is no problem, has set up another company of his own.
A. who B. for whose C. for whom D. in which
3. _______the heavy rain, they kept on planning trees at the foot of the hill.
A. Although B. Though C In spite D. Despite
4. We all believe him _______ he said is true.
A. because B. because of C. because what D. because of what
5. It is said that air pollution has ________ the rise of the global temperature.
A. led into B. led to C. led D. led by
6. In _______, when he was in _______, he went to west to make money.
A. the 1950s; the 50s B. the 1950s;his 50s
C. 1950s; his 50s D. 1950s; the 50s
7. I sent 3 more people to help him ________ Tom.
A. beside B. except C. except for D. besides
8. ________ you do, you can not break the law.
A. No matter what B. What
C. No matter whatever D. Whatever do
9. Do you agree to his __________that all the trees on both sides of the road be cut for a good price.
A. idea B. thought C. plan D. suggestion
10. Tom, have you _____ your mid-term examination?
A. finished B. passed through C. got through D. succeeded to pass
11. Why _______accept his advice? It will do good to you.
A. / B. not C. to D. not to
12. Modern English ________ from about the middle of the 17th century.
A. appear B. came out C. came into being D. came up
13. He often read _______ the poor light, which made him near-sighted.
A. for B. by C. on D. under
14. John is taller than _________ in his class.
A. other student B. any students C. any other student D. any student
15. Your letter_______ the days when we worked together on the farm 20 years ago.
A. called back B. called up C. called in D. called for
16. When _________, the museum will be open to the public next year.
A. completed B. completing
C. being completed D. to be completed
17. _________ the end of the afternoon, it began to rain.
A. After B. Before C. Towards D. By
18. The pictures ________me of my school days at years ago.
A. inspired B. encouraged C. impressed D. reminded
19. __________in thought, he almost ran into the car in front of him.
A. Losing B. Having lost C. Lost D. To lose
20. You should not smoke so much, for it will ________ lung disease.
A． cause to B. lead to C. make D. have
21. ________ in the rain, he had to phoned his secretary to cancel the meeting.
A. Catching B. Caught C. To catch D. Being caught
22. I’m not going. _________ I haven’t a ticket, and secondly I don’t like the play.
A. Start B. Begin to C. To start with D. To begin
23. That sweater was woven _______.
A. by the hand B. by hand C. by hands D. by their hands
24. If you don’t work hard in the university, when you graduate from it, I can’t _____ you to a decent job.
A. recommend B. inspire C. get D. make
25. Kate ________as a top student in painting.
A. looks out B. stands out C. works out D. finds out
26. Cleaning women in big cities usually get ________ by the hour.
A. pay B. paying C. paid D. to pay
27. When he returned home, he found the window open and something ________.
A. be missing B. losing C. missed D. stolen
28. All things _________, the planned trip will have to be called off.
A. considered B. be considered
C. considering D. having considered
29. Having traveled eight hours on end, we finally reached _______is now a big city.
A. which B. what C. where D. it
30. I kept looking at the man, wondering _________.
A. whether I have seen him before B. where I had seen him before
C. that I had seen him before D. when I had seen him before